We are seeking a Program Coordinator to help implement our biotechnology education program in San Mateo County.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Starting Date: ASAP
Appointment: 20-30 hours per week
Work Location: Peninsula High School, 300 Piedmont Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066
The Program Coordinator is an energetic, results-orientated, collaborative professional, who excels while working on multiple projects, can effectively manage critical timelines, and is passionate about science education. The Program Coordinator will share responsibility for maintaining the program’s portable science laboratories, which includes restocking supplies, repairing equipment, and preparing reagents and buffers. In addition, s/he will contribute to maintaining a comprehensive scheduling and inventory system, procure needed supplies, and manage the laboratory in an efficient and cost-effective manner. S/he will assist with coordinating the transfer of portable science labs to local schools and will provide support and assistance with the equipment set-up and curriculum implementation in the classroom. S/he will share responsibility for mentoring student interns and will be a compassionate, empathetic individual who understands the myriad challenges that classroom teachers encounter and the potential difficulties that may arise.
– Some college-level coursework in molecular biology
– Experience in performing laboratory procedures and preparations
– Ability to follow detailed and/or highly technical oral and/or written instructions.
– Ability to tactfully and empathetically communicate and work with individuals from diverse cultural and/or socio-economic backgrounds.
– Access to a vehicle with a valid CA driver’s license and auto insurance policy
– Ability to lift and carry 50 pound boxes
– A passion for science
– Experience in working in an academic or industrial laboratory setting
– Knowledge of basic biotechnology laboratory procedures, such as bacterial transformation and polymerase chain reaction.
– Experience in maintaining scientific equipment and inventories
– Experience tutoring or teaching in the sciences
– Prepare portable science labs, reagents, and supplies to local schools.
– Assist in maintaining organized reagent, equipment and supply inventories.
– Establish safe working laboratory conditions
– Organize and maintain cleanliness of the lab facility.
– Maintain laboratory equipment; learn/perform minor repairs.
– Supervise and assist summer student interns.
– Assist and support teachers as they implement the GC curriculum and utilize the portable science labs in their classrooms
– Occasionally transport materials to local high schools or provide technical lab support for individual teachers
– Respond to teacher requests for additional materials in a timely fashion.
– Assist in developing and maintaining a database management system that tracks all participating schools, teachers, and students.
– Monitor deliveries to schools, including replacing supplies per school inventory sheet and following-up missing equipment.
– Assist in developing new biotechnology curricula
– Work collaboratively and effectively with others; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; manage schedules and timelines; meet deadlines; prepare and maintain various reports, records and files; work independently and exhibit initiative with minimal guidance.
– Attend BABEC staff and other meetings and other related activities, as requested.
– Assume other appropriate duties/responsibilities as assigned.
– Be an enthusiastic, collaborative and supportive team member.
Please email a letter of interest and resume or curriculum vitae to: email@example.com All applicants will be screened for their expertise and relevant work experience. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited for an interview. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
BABEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.