Education Program Manager / Instructional Coach
Help teachers bring biotechnology to all students while working flexible hours with an upbeat dynamic team.
Bay Area Bioscience Education Community (BABEC) has been empowering SF Bay Area teachers to inspire their students with biotechnology for more than 20 years. The success of our model relies on our team cohesion, teacher empathy and the upkeep of the equipment we loan to teachers.
We are seeking candidates with at least two years teaching experience in a high school biology classroom and the ability to move portable laboratory equipment and teaching materials between sites. Successful candidates will possess attention to detail, the ability to navigate multiple moving parts, and exercise good judgement in task prioritization. Experience with coaching/mentoring and biotechnology instruction preferred. We will consider community college instructors and individuals with scientific research training who have a passion for K-12 science education. We are hiring for two regional positions: San Francisco / Marin Counties and San Mateo County.
While BABEC staff work with teachers throughout the greater bay area, we maintain an office and laboratory space at CCSF-Mission. This is our primary hub for non-school site days, with public transportation and lots of city flavors nearby. The San Francisco / Marin hire will frequently visit our outpost at San Rafael, while the San Mateo hire may spend time preparing portable biotech classrooms out of our San Bruno location.
Why should you apply?
* You love the idea of helping teachers do their job better through supporting bioscience curricula across the Bay Area.
* You have laboratory/technical experience and knowledge that you would like to apply in innovative ways.
* You understand that working for a small educational non-profit means we all sometimes pitch in for evenings, weekends, off-site work, and for moving and maintaining equipment.
* You are familiar with Next Generation Science Standards and other best practices in science education.
* You are passionate about educational equity.
* Bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, or a related field
* At least 2 years of high school biology teaching experience and/or laboratory research experience
* English language mastery
* Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and in accessing the Internet
* Ability to lift and carry 50 pound boxes
* Access to a vehicle with a valid CA driver’s license and auto insurance policy
* Access to a computer, internet access and personal cell phone when not in the office.
* Valid CA secondary teaching credential, or similar in life sciences or a related field
* Expertise in assisting/mentoring teachers, especially those new to biotechnology
* Experience in teaching a high school biotechnology curriculum
* Understanding of, and fluency with, NGSS
* Experience working in an academic or industrial laboratory setting, performing laboratory procedures, and maintaining scientific equipment and inventories
Note: Not all duties of this unique position are listed, but are available upon request and will be discussed with qualified candidates.
BABEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested? Please Apply!
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate your regional preference: San Mateo County or San Francisco / Marin Counties