BABEC 2019 Fall Conference
September 28, 2019 at Skyline College
Please join us for an engaging and inspiring day of community with other biology and biotech teachers from across the Bay Area. The details are still developing, but here’s a teaser of what we have planned so far:
Keynote Address: Strategies for Aligning Biotech Lessons with NGSS
Director of STEM Programs, San Joaquin County Office of Education
Kirk is Director of Science and STEM Integration/Innovation at San Joaquin County Office of Education. He is also the regional science-lead of the Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee of the California County Superintendent’s Educational Services Association. Kirk was also a member of the NGSS State Review Team and the NGSS Science Expert Panel, helping California adopt the NGSS state standards for science. He also co-wrote the Revised CA Science Framework. Before coming to the San Joaquin County Office of Education, Kirk taught International Baccalaureate Biology and Biotechnology at Tracy High School for 25 years. He will discuss strategies on aligning biotechnology lessons with NGSS.
Strategies for Strong Workforce Program Funding
- Learn how to engage with new state funding options for biotech education
- The K12 Strong Workforce Program is up and running.
- Panel discussion with program leadership and current district grant recipients about how you can tap into state workforce funds for biotechnology education.
Engaging Networking Opportunities
- Convene with your colleagues from across the Bay
- The letter C in BABEC stands for Community, and we take that seriously!
- We will provide ample opportunities to network and connect with old friends and new contacts.