BABEC is hiring!
Education Program Manager
We are seeking candidates with a secondary teaching background in biology or chemistry, familiarity with standard biotechnology laboratory techniques, and a strong commitment to equity to join our growing team. BABEC is a unique place to work, with a fantastic team and a positive work culture, so we are also looking for the right personality to fit in with the organization.
The ideal candidate has experience as the teacher of record in a Bay Area high school science classroom. Experience working in laboratory research setting is also highly desired. We seek an effective communicator with astute knowledge of how to work with a wide range of individuals in educational, academic, community, and scientific fields. The candidate is an energetic, results-oriented, collaborative professional, who excels while working on multiple projects, can effectively manage critical timelines, and enjoys hands-on work. We are a small, non-hierarchical organization and successful employees are those who never feel like any work task is “below their pay grade” and are willing to do all levels of work to support our mission.
The Education Program Manager position involves traveling to high schools to provide in-classroom assistance, teacher training/mentorship, and curriculum development, testing and writing. It also includes a substantial laboratory component related to biotechnology protocol design, testing, and optimization. Day to day responsibilities include acting as a teacher liaison for scheduling and logistics, inventory management, kit preparation, and equipment repair and refurbishment.
The candidate will work as part of a dynamic team supporting all Bay Area programming, but will have primary responsibility for growing our programs in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. The position is full-time with the possibility for career growth over time, and the work schedule is flexible. Evenings and weekends are sometimes necessary for trainings, workshops and meetings with stakeholders.
Experience and personal attributes
You should be:
– Enthusiastic about STEM education, particularly biotechnology, and familiar with the ecosystems and communities that surround these fields at the regional and the national level.
– A natural collaborator; able to work across teams with a track record of partnering with colleagues and other stakeholders to achieve results.
– Comfortable with frequent travel to schools across the Bay Area.
– A strong communicator and experienced speaking in front of large groups of people.
You will ideally have:
– A valid CA secondary teaching credential or similar in life sciences or related field
– Experience teaching high school biotechnology lessons
– Experience working in an academic or industrial laboratory setting, performing experimental lab procedures and maintaining scientific equipment and inventories
– Expertise assisting/mentoring teachers, especially those new to biotechnology
– Experience working with diverse student populations
– Understanding of, and fluency with, NGSS
– Ability to lift and carry 30-pound boxes
– Access to a vehicle with a valid CA driver’s license and auto insurance policy
Note: Not all duties of this unique position are listed, but are available upon request and will be discussed with qualified candidates.
– Health care plan (medical, dental, and vision); 50% of monthly premium is covered by BABEC.
– Very flexible work schedule with generous comp time and work-from-home options, in addition to paid time off for sick time and generous vacation and holiday policies.
– Retirement plan (Simple IRA with employer match).
Primary work Location
San Francisco, CA.
Other work sites at Alameda and Contra Costa County schools
Please email a letter of interest and resume or curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants will be screened for their expertise and relevant work experience. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited for an interview. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
BABEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.